Aligning images with text
As mentioned before, a display image is usually a large image on the page for illustration purposes. The key is to start a new paragraph before inserting larger images.
Display images can be centred just like a paragraph of text.
To centre the image of the church door, just
- Press enter to begin a new paragraph in the Web page
- Click the Insert Image button on the toolbar, and import the image into the page in the usual way
- Double click on the image to bring up the Image Properties dialog box, and add the ALT text in the usual way, clicking OK to accept your alternative text and dismiss the dialog box
- Then select the image by clicking once, and press the Centre toolbar button on the MS FrontPage toolbar
- The image should be centred.
You can't just click the Align Left or Align Right buttons to left and right align the image - if you do the text in the paragraph below will wrap around the image!
The next section deals with text wrapping.
Wrapping text around images
This text is wrapped around the image of the church door, in a similar way to most DTP packages or word processors. The main disadvantage of this effect is that you have no idea how wide the user's page is going to be. You therefore do not know how much space there is going to be for the text.
I would suggest
- you avoid wrapping text around images
- just centre the images on your page as new paragraphs
- look at the tables section later in this unit for a better way of controlling the position of pictures.
To achieve the wrapping of text, you should
- Have MS FrontPage loaded with your Web page open, and the display image file in the same folder as your Web pages
- Click the mouse at the start of the paragraph you want to wrap around your image
- Click on the Insert Image button on the FrontPage toolbar, and import your image in the usual way, remember to add some ALT text!
- Double click on the image to bring up the Image Properties dialog box
- Select the Appearance tag
- Select 'left' from the list of alignments in the Layout region of the dialog box
- Set the Horizontal Spacing to about 10 or 15 pixels
- Click OK to accept your choice
- Save your changes
- Check the results by loading your page into a Web browser
Note that the representation of the page in FrontPage Express is not accurate. Always check the page in a Web browser.